MASTERCLASS: The Essence of Production
The 2-days masterclass will include the following topics:
1. Producing The Edit: How to work with new formats and returning series
- With clips, discussion and practical elements, this course covers how to work effectively and successfully in the edit. From managing material and workflow and viewings to first steps, identifying the programme DNA; developing and delivering a collective vision for a first series or returning series, building a narrative, finding characters, managing the complex relationships with production and troubleshooting.
2. Working with Presenters and Talent
- How to get the best out of your talent/presenter, covering everything from the psychological aspects of working with talent to the practical ways that you must prepare. The course examines the different roles talent can take in factual or factual entertainment television and the importance of clarity; how to discover new talent, what is star quality, how to do screen tests and develop new talent, how to prepare for the shoot, working with experienced talent, giving notes on performance and producing voice over recording sessions.
3. Keeping It On The Rails: Running a production from pitch to delivery
- How to get the best out of yourself, construct and inspire teams; how to support them; how to control costs and how important it is to organise everything from office protocol and intercommunication, to briefings, shooting ratios and edit suite processes.
- Identify and understand how different types of programmes were put together in the edit and how to use those tools and critical thinking in their work
- Develop understanding of narrative and character
- Manage the workflow of different programmes and how they should manage their relationships in the edit with the editor and the rest of production
- Develop and maintain interpersonal relationships with different presenters and talents
- Understand the process of running a production, forming a production team, to turning original proposal into a realised programme
- Manage budgets, run a schedule, basic directing and interviewing, making sure the edit works, to sticking with the original plan
Who Should Attend
This masterclass is suitable for media professionals with at least 1 year of experience in television production.
(2 Days) -
Registration Closing Date: -
9:30am to 5:30pm
Fees (Inclusive of 7% GST)
Application Fee: S$53.50 -Waived-
Full Course Fee*: S$2,675.00
*This course is supported for up to 90% subsidy under the IMDA Talent Assistance Specialised Training Grant (T-Assist). Terms and conditions apply. For more information, click here
A multi-award winning series Producer, Steve Evanson has been at the heart of invention and creative programming for some of the most successful BBC TV shows in the UK. His series get re-commissioned, attract large audiences and widespread media attention and he makes TV that gets talked about and generates repeat business.
He is also in demand as a professional broadcast trainer, running courses for the BBC Academy on TV research and factual and long form storytelling
His most successful BBC series, Coast, presented epic journeys around the coastlines of the UK, Europe and North America using expert presenters and pioneering aerial shots. It was described as “Absolute Gold,” by the UK’s professional magazine Broadcast and has now been sold as a global brand. In addition Steve has also masterminded popular series featuring science and archaeology.