MASTERCLASS: Co Producing for the International Market
This is a highly intensive and interactive 3-day masterclass. Participants will be be immersed in hands on learning in the Creative, Production, Legal/Marketing and Distribution of co producing film projects for the international market. Guest Speakers will discuss real projects to better illustrate strategies and opportunities.
Day 1 – Development and Creative
- Introduction and overview locating Singapore in the paradigm shift of new technologies and distribution models which are how motion pictures and content is created, distributed and sold
- Co producing treaties with Singapore – Ireland, China, Australia and others, and how they work
- Looking for partners through Festivals and Labs
- What projects work best for co productions?
- Visual storytelling across language
- Finding material - How to find and/or develop scripts for the international marketplace. Art or genre?
Day 2 – Legal and Production
- Financing films and co production needs
- Where to shoot and how the budget breaks down
- Attaching talent that works in the international market
- Where does Hollywood fit into the co production or co partnership model?
- ‘Partnerships exercises” to experience the challenges and benefits of co production
- Film Industry Intellectual Property Laws
- What rights do individuals have over their creations and their images?
- How to navigate the global financing structures and working with legal, accounting and creatives
- Analysis of film co production project in detail
- Creation of co production plans using participants' own projects
- How to make the legal and creative partnerships work
- Use of Social Media Marketing, identify core fans to create your audience
- Demo of current co production to clarify successful working models
Who Should Attend
This highly interactive masterclass is optimal for Media Professionals, Writers, Directors, Producers and Executives with at least 1 year of professional experience and who wants to produce and create content for the international market.
(3 Days) -
Registration Closing Date: -
9:30am to 5:30pm
Fees (Inclusive of 7% GST)
Application Fee: S$53.50 -Waived-
Full Course Fee*: S$3,103.00
*This course is supported for up to 90% subsidy under the IMDA Talent Assistance Specialised Training Grant (T-Assist). Terms and conditions apply. For more information, click here
Born in Ireland, educated in England with a BA in American Studies from the University of Sussex and an extensive filmmaking career in the USA, Gabrielle Kelly is a screenwriter and producer of diverse content for the global marketplace who also teaches in international labs and film programmes. She is the recipient of two Fulbright Awards: one in screenwriting at TNUA, Taiwan and the second as writer/mentor in the screenwriting /producing Lab for the ASEAN Independent Cinema Project in the Philippines.
Following a career in book publishing in New York, she worked with NY based director Sidney Lumet and screenwriter/producer Jay Presson Allen on films such as Daniel, Prince of the City, Deathtrap, The Verdict and others. Additional projects developed included work with Andy Warhol's Factory on an audio-animatronic show From A to Z and Back Again, musical La Cages aux Folles with Mike Nichols and scripts for Malcolm McClaren and CBS Theatrical Films. In Hollywood she ran producer Robert Evans company at Paramount working in development and production on a slate of diverse projects and worked as executive and producer with such companies as HBO, Fields Hellman, Eddie Murphy Productions and Warner Bros.
Her producing credits include indie feature All the Queen's Men (starring Eddie Izzard and Matt LeBlanc) for Strand Releasing, Stag (for Cineplex Odeon/HBO), the family feature film, D.A.R.Y.L. for Paramount/Columbia and most recently All Ages Night, a feature told through multiple media formats set in the all ages music club scene of So Cal to be released later this year.
Her screenplays include produced feature All Ages Night which she also co-produced together with many commissioned and spec scripts. Projects in development from an array of source materials include Marvel comic Mort the Dead Teenager at Dreamworks and co-productions with Russia, Brazil, China and Europe.
Teaching experience includes screenwriting and producing at UCLA, USC, Chapman, VGIK, Russia, London's PAL Labs, the first ever Middle East Sundance Screenwriting Lab and many others. She sits on the Board of the British Academy of Film and Television, Women In Film and the Irish Film Festival/LA and is a judge and programmer at numerous film festivals worldwide. She is currently working on transmedia projects for the global marketplace as a screenwriter and producer.
(Subject to Availability)
- Randy Finch - Producer, Entertainment Lawyer, Professor of Film at Taipei National University.
- Nick North - Producer, Managing Director/Make Entertainment, former Executive/Infinite Frameworks. Worked on series "Serangoon Road".